“It is welcome news that Canada is rejoining the Expo movement to participate at Expo 2020 Dubai. We are looking forward to leveraging the Expo platform to continue to build on investment ties with Canada, Canadian companies and the Canadian community here who call the UAE their home.”
– His Excellency Mohammad Al Shaibani, Director-General of the Dubai Ruler’s Court
“With the eyes of the world on Dubai, our presence at Expo 2020 affirms the vitality of Canada-UAE relations, while showcasing the best Canada has to offer. We only need to look at the lasting effects that hosting two world fairs has had on the fabric of our own nation to understand the potential this represents for Canada and for Canadians.”
– The Honourable Jim Carr, Canada’s former Minister of International Trade Diversification
Canada officially confirmed its participation in World Expo 2020 Dubai UAE on January 25th, 2019, becoming one of 190 confirmed participating countries. This will be Canada’s first pavilion at a World Expo since Shanghai in 2010. Expo 2020 provides a platform to showcase Canada’s innovation, knowledge and expertise in business and cultural pursuits for which Canada is recognized around the globe. Participating in Expo 2020 aligns with Canada’s trade diversification strategy which helps Canadian exporters and investors access more opportunities around the globe so they can compete and succeed in thriving global markets abroad. In 2018, the Government of Canada announced that it will invest C$1.1 billon over the next six years to develop infrastructure that will boost international trade.
Canada’s participation in Expo 2020 Dubai is led by the Government of Canada – Global Affairs Canada. In January 2019, Canada’s official expo team was announced. The team is based in Ottawa and works closely with Canadian diplomats on the ground in the UAE.
In March 2019, the Government of Canada announced the first Request for Proposals (RFP) for the Canadian pavilion at Expo 2020 on its procurement site www.buyandsell.gc.ca. The scope is for Design-Build-Operate-Maintain-Dismantle professional services. This includes:
(i) the design and construction of the Pavilion and site;
(ii) the design and development of the Public Presentation/exhibition element;
(iii) the continuing operation and maintenance of the Pavilion and the Public Presentation/exhibition throughout the six-month Expo operation period; and
(iv) the dismantling and removal of the Pavilion and Pavilion components, restoration of the site to its original state and the completion of related documentation.
Access that opportunity here: https://buyandsell.gc.ca/procurement-data/tender-notice/PW-FG-369-76751
Closing date: 2019/05/07 14:00 Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
**Future RFPs related to content, programming, communications and other areas are anticipated.
Canada Pavilion Theme
According to the RFP, Canada’s pavilion theme will be “The Future in Mind.” It is intended to be expressive of the Exposition’s theme and will serve to deliver Canada’s message:
– Canada is an innovation powerhouse
– Canada is a leader in global governance and progressive ideas
– Canada is open for business and tourism
– Canada is sustainably managing its natural resources
The Sub-themes include:
Diversity: The Source
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning: The Enablers
Space and Aerospace: The Next Frontier
The Pavilion will be the physical and visual representation of Canada. The objectives of the Canada Pavilion are to create an image of a Canada that is:
– a global leader, innovator and ally with solutions to offer the world in many spheres: free trade, human rights, gender equality, international security, migration, and diversity, sustainable development, food and water security
– a leader in innovation and sustainability: through its people, its Research & Development, science and technology agreements, its incubators, its superclusters, its global partnerships
– an ideal place for study, tourism, business, investment, and immigration.
The Canadian government will use this platform to achieve key objectives:
– to diversify its international markets
– to attract foreign investment
– to promote Canadian innovation, tourism and international education x to build support for Canadian initiatives and values on the world stage, and
– to deepen our relationship with the UAE and the region.